Friday, June 25, 2010

Best practices for using negative keywords

Negative keywords are an excellent way to eliminate irrelevant impressions and improve the quality of your PPC traffic. They help boost your CTR, improve quality score, lower your CPCs and increase ROI. Here are my 5 best practices for using negative keywords with Google AdWords:

  1. Use negative keywords at the campaign level. Negative keywords in Google AdWords can be applied at the ad group or campaign levels. In most cases, you'll want to use them at the more scalable campaign level to eliminate specific words or phrases from appearing with any on your keyword combinations pertaining to your entire campaign.

  2. Use the AdWords keyword tool. Look up additional keyword variations for your highest impression generating keywords through the keyword tool. Any searches that are not relevant to your business should be added as negative terms.

  3. Expand your negatives. Make sure that you expand the negative terms you come up with, adding singulars, plurals, synonyms and any other variations you can think of. The Google AdWords system does not expand the negatives for you. For example, if you're running on a keyword 'cosmetic surgery' and you add a negative keyword 'pic' the query 'cosmetic surgery pics' still might trigger your ad unless you add 'pics' as a negative as well. Add synonyms (photo, photos, picture, pictures, pix) while you're at it!

  4. Run search query reports. Search query reports will show you actual queries that led to clicks on your PPC ads. Any queries that do not apply to your website are excellent negative keywords. I recommend running this report once a week.

  5. Use advanced negative matching options. In addition to negative broad match, you can also use negative phrase and negative exact match. Negative phrase and exact match should be used to restrict specific phrases from triggering your PPC ads, but still preserve and allow your PPC ads to be triggered for some of the words within that phrase. Let's say you are advertising a cosmetic surgery website, and you're running on keyword 'breast enhancement surgery'. Here are some use cases for advanced negative match types with that example in mind:


75 comments:

  1. This can help you in saving lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first comment here on this website and I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the site and I visit it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely value your work , Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this site is my inspiration , real great design and perfect content .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this on MSN and I'm glad I did. Well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting piece of information, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found this on Google and I'm glad I did. Well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found this on Google and I'm happy I did. Interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful site.. i really liked reading your article.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was trying to find this. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found this on MSN and I'm glad I did. Well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, I usually don't comment but figured I would do it now. Plain and simple I like your website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found this on Bing and I'm glad I did. Well written article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, I'm always amazed by what I come across on the web

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your internet site last week and I have been checking it out on a regular basis. You have a lots of great informative stuff here and I really like the particular style of the website as well. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see which you are putting a a lot of efforts into your blog. Preserve posting the great work.Some really helpful information in there. Bookmarked. Wonderful to see your internet site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some truly interesting details you have written. Assisted me a lot, just what I was searching for : D.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks so much for the heads up on the issue you're experiencing. I'll be sure to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a really good study for me, Need to admit that you just are 1 of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative report.

    ReplyDelete
  20. his could be the ideal blog page for anyone who desires to learn about this theme. You know so much its nearly hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a subject thats been created about for a long time. Great stuff, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic stuff from you, man. Ive study your stuff before and youre just also awesome. I really like what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to hold it wise. I cant wait to study more from you. That is really a wonderful blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  22. analysis on this. And he in truth purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really nice piece of information, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am going to look into this topic furthur, do you reccomend any blogs that I can research it more in depth?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great blog, Just wanted to comment that i can not connect to the rss stream, you might want install the right wordpress plugin for that to workthat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for explaining it so well, Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can see which you are putting a plenty of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the great perform.Some really helpful information in there. Bookmarked. Wonderful to see your site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Howdy blogger, thank you for providing this article.. I found it first-class.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i’d love to share this posting with the readers on my site. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This really answered my drawback, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is my very first time i check out here. I found a lot of entertaining stuff within your weblog, specially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the just one obtaining every one of the satisfaction here! Maintain up the great function.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hrmm that was weird, my comment received eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it's great to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the very first spot that told me the answer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Let me start by declaring great post. Im not confident if it has been talked about, but when using Chrome I can by no means get the entire website to load without refreshing numerous times. Could just be my computer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aw, this was a really excellent publish. In concept I'd prefer to write like this also - taking time and true work to generate an excellent post... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and never ever seem to get something done.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Please, can you PM me and tell me few more thinks about this, I am really fan of your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a really good go through for me, Ought to admit which you are a single of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  37. woww.. your article is good. its helpful me.. keep posting buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You got a really useful blog I've been right here reading for about an hour. I'm a newbie along with your success is extremely much an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This report gives the light in which we can observe the reality. that is extremely nice a single and gives indepth info. thanks for this good post

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty wonderful platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really enjoyed reading this post. Great step by step description!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am often to running a blog and i actually respect your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I'm going to bookmark your site and keep checking for brand spanking new information.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Aw, this was a really great publish. In concept I'd prefer to write like this also - taking time and genuine energy to produce a fantastic post... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and never ever appear to get some thing carried out.

    ReplyDelete
  44. You obtained a really useful blog site I've been here reading for about an hour. I'm a newbie along with your good results is quite considerably an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I was trying to find this. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My website goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for another important write-up. Wherever else could anyone get that kind of data in such a full way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am around the lookout for this kind of data.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think this internet site has some really good information for everyone : D.

    ReplyDelete
  49. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Let me start by stating wonderful publish. Im not certain if it has been talked about, but when using Chrome I can by no means get the entire site to load without refreshing numerous times. Could just be my computer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hold 'em coming... you all do such a fantastic position at these Concepts... can not tell you how significantly I, for one particular appreciate all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel fervently about this and I take pleasure in learning about this topic. Please, as you gain information, please update this blog with more information. I have found it very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Pretty excellent publish. I just stumbled upon your blog page and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog page posts. Any way I'll be subscribing for your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Dear admin, thanks for providing this blog post. I found it great. Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  55. I’ve just lately started a blog, the data you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all your time & work.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Well, another blogger already posted a topic like this.~;;;~

    ReplyDelete
  58. Really cool piece of information, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Great Ideas in this post. It's good to know some quality blogs still exist now that have useful information. Looking forward to your next posts. Thanks for sharing pal.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Very nice and impressive article you have posted. Its very helpful, i have read and bookmark this site and will recommend it to more other peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I have really enjoyied reading your well written article. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Major thanks for the article post. Will read on…

    ReplyDelete
  63. I appreciate that you place excellent content out that is articulate and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello! I've been following your website for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Some truly nice stuff on this website , I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your blog, I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Can I publish your put up to my blog? I will add a backlink to your forum. That’s one really sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hey, I finally decided to write a comment on your blog. I just wanted to say good job. I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Very enlightening blog, thank you so much for making the time to write the blog.

    ReplyDelete